Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Accommodation Hassle

A Saudi engineer is having difficulty to get a luxurious apartment with nice garden even with the budget allocation of 1500 Pounds a month as he only looks for three month rent. He has run out his time because his wife and his children will be coming next week. He said: "My wife will kill me if i still cannot get a good place when she comes!"

His Saudi colleague spoke to me and looked for help.

I shared with him about the hassle I have in my present shared house. I gave a one-month notice last 15th of May but the houseowner said the notice should be given on the 1st and therefore i must stay until end of June.

Well, i didn't like to argue and agreed to stay until end of June.

Two days ago, unexpectedly, the houseowner asked whether i can move out end of this month since he has got people saw my room (without my knowledge) and they are interested in moving in the 1st of June.

I said: Well, although it is short notice, i will find out whether i can do so and i will let him know the next day.

He said: Oh, it's ok, you can let me know the day after the next day.

I had appointments for room viewing arranged yesterday evening and got one although it is far from town centre, which is at the other end of Bus 17, indeed it would be a long distance for me to go to work by taking two buses. I paid a down payment of 25 pounds as I didn't have much cash with me.

I went home and told the houseowner that i have got a place and i could move out end of May as he asked.

AS EXPECTED, he said: No, those people are only interested but they have yet to give me confirmation by the day after the next day. If they don't want to come in 1st of June, you have to stay until end of June!

Well, I have made down payment to move into another place end of this month.

I could give a ring to the coming houseowner that I could not move in because of so and so.

However, although it was only merely 25 pounds to burn compared with the 200 pounds of deposit that will be most likely refused to be refunded by the present houseowner if he insisted me to stay until end of June, for me, a word is a word that I have given my words to the coming houseowner. Indeed, I am not one who breaks the promise on any cost and am certainly also not a self-centered one who chooses to suffer others for self survival.

The Saudi colleague offered me the extra room of his apartment until 23rd of June when his family come. I laughed and told him that his offer should come yesterday instead of today.

Actually, quite a number of my colleagues are senior engineers sent from their respective companies. Therefore, most of them stay in a two-bedroom apartment alone.

No comments: