Monday, January 01, 2007

One of my New Year's resolutions: It should be a joint battle against Global Warming

On New Year's eve, while waiting for the count down and champagne toss session to receive the new year of 2007, I was seeing photos of comparison on the rapid change of our earth environment from a book written by Al Gore "An Inconvenient Truth" .

I was watching closely the result on the 2000 US Presidential Election by 7 November 2000. Although I didn't know much about Al Gore at that time, I had been wishing Al Gore to win the US Presidency instead of George Bush from their highlighting political issues.

Until today, I still wish Al Gore would stand into US Presidential election again as I want our global environmental issues to be the focus of our world arena, instead of those sicking and wrong shift of attention onto a tragic misadventure terrorism that not only help nothing on surviving our earth, but also make our environment even more worse by creating more wars.

The United States presidential election of 2000 was one of the closest presidential elections in the history of the United States. It was a contest between Democratic candidate Al Gore, the Vice President of the United States, and Republican candidate George W. Bush, the Governor of Texas. On election night, the news media twice declared a winner in the state of Florida prematurely based on exit polls, before deciding the race was too close to call. It became clear that both candidates needed Florida's electoral votes to win the presidency. A month of controversial court challenges and recounts folllowed, until the Supreme Court of the United States halted further recounts in its ruling for Bush v. Gore. Bush was certified as the winner in Florida by a margin of 537 votes, thereby defeating Gore, who received more votes than Bush nationwide. It was the third time in American history that a candidate won the vote in the Electoral College without receiving a plurality of the popular vote.

I enjoyed the peace and family joy on the very new year day in Switzerland without a sign of snow. I asked myself why should I care for global warming issues as the efforts from a family solely would be insignificant for helping the recovery of our damaging earth if world politicians do not make a joint efforts in alerting people and rescuing our mother earth.

I have new year resolutions made for the health of my family and beloved families of my friends as well as my personal career establishment.

What else?

I hope it is still not too late for us the world citizens to recover our earth. However, what were in the news on new year's eve were execution of Saddam Hussein that has not ended a tragedy but creates angers, continuous flood in Malaysia, ferring sinking in Indonesia due to rough weather, devastating drought in south-eastern Australia, bombings in Bangkok and car blast in Madrid, firework celebrations in London and other cities in England had to call of because of dangerous winds, brutal winter storm in Colorado, as well as China's pledgs of peaceful growth of army.

No comments: